Saturday 28 January 2017

Deadlines

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” - Douglas Adams

I like a deadline. They give me something to work towards, something to aim for. When I have a deadline I can plan accordingly. I like counting down to things so that I can quantify the time I have left to prepare.

For example I can tell you that its 19 days until I go away with Mr CD. 41 days until I turn 30, 107 days until I go with L to see Harry Potter accompanied by a live orchestra and that its 10 days until H's next appointment at BCH. 

Baby Led Weaning
The appointment itself holds no fear for me - its just a standard Cleft Clinic appointment. We will see the nurse and H's consultant and see how we are getting on. It is then we will get the date for H's palate op. This is what is bothering me. I am trying to wean H to an indeterminate deadline. 

Over the last week I have posted some videos to the Facebook page showing me feeding H, and from them I think you can guess the constant swings and roundabouts this had become.

Last weekend went something like this:

Friday: Ate masses of broccoli. Loads of it. Couldn't get enough.
Post Raspberry:
A cute little ball of fuzz & a rabbit.
Saturday: Wouldn't eat broccoli. Or Sweet Potato. It was like I was trying to poison him.
Sunday: Carrots. The old faithful.  Not now though - not interested then tried a bit and choked on them.
Monday: Carrots again. Screamed. Apples: 5 spoons then screamed. Then proceeded to sneeze most of those 5 spoonfuls out of his nose.

Since then, he has been eating the purees a lot better. He does seem to prefer the pouches but, at the moment, I am just pleased he is eating. As the purees have been going down better I have been trying him on other things, whole raspberries in a weaning net and porridge for him to play with in a nod to *shudder* baby led weaning. Not too much went on the dog so I'm calling that a win.


No, the puree thing is going okay now. What we are still struggling with is the whole 'milk in a sippy cup' thing. He just isn't interested beyond a few sips. I think our record is 10ml. I can't say I blame him if I'm honest, just the feel of the mouth piece bouncing against his gum notch gives me the shivers - its like grinding teeth.

So, you see my problem. We will go to this appointment and they will ask how the weaning is going and I will shrug my shoulders and say "I have no idea." And as the weaning is integral to his next operation, it makes me nervous. They could turn around and ask to operate within a couple of weeks - I doubt they will but I am an inveterate planner, and not having a fixed deadline is concerning me.

First thing on Monday I will call the cleft team for some advice. We should be further on with the cup than we are for 4 weeks in.

So, that's where we are. I would be interested to hear what free-flow cups you use for weaning and if you are having any more luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment